MY ALARM GOES OFF SO I ROLL OVER AND CHECK MY PHONE AND MY AMERICAN GODS GOOGLE ALERT HAS DELIVERED THIS BOUNTY UNTO ME????????
AM I STILL FUCKING DREAMING, I THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER SEE THE GODDAMN DAY, BRYAN FULLER YOU ARE MAKING MY WILDEST DREAMS COME TRUE ONE CARNIVOROUS VAGINA AT A TIME
I don’t even know shit about American Gods but both of these headlines are GOLD
Haunted forever by that scene. HO FORTH AND REAAAD
OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD
i want a show called Man Vs. Wilde where someone is put in the jungle with oscar wilde and has to survive not only the elements but also wilde’s random attacks and massive ego
The Four Founders of Hogwarts.
This fucked me up for a good 5 minutes.oh
sure we’ve never had a woman president, the majority of politicians and CEOs are men, a woman needs a masters degree just to make the same money as a man with a BA doing the same job, rape cases are grossly under prosecuted, and we teach young girls that they’re “asking for” rape based on what they’re wearing
but let’s talk about the REAL issues like how some woman on the internet is selling a coffee mug with the words “male tears” printed on it
Friendship in roleplaying is wanting to have your character beat their character’s face in and them being okay and supportive of that. ;-;
1. All those people screaming cultural appropriation at her are ignoramuses who are basically saying, “Wow, you don’t look like my ill-informed, narrow-minded stereotype of what people from this region actually look like!” and “I actually subscribe to horrible, reductionist stereotypes that Indian people can only have dark hair, skin and eyes. Light hair? Green eyes? European (origin) only!”
This is gonna be a tad long, because it’s gonna delve into biology and history- and it’s because I hope people realise how artificial the US paradigm of race is. It’s woefully incompetent at understanding the biological diversity of our species because it is a social construct. Modern scientists and historians generally refuse to categorise people on the amount of melanin they have because it’s just reductionist and oversimplistic- what they do is classify people by their geographic origin, linguistic and cultural ties.
2. India is an EXTREMELY diverse country. The Indian subcontinent is so genetically diverse that the only place more genetically diverse is the African continent, aka, the birthplace of humanity. And this is a big deal. I’ll explain why.
Surprise! People inhabiting an extremely large country that has more than 2000 ethnic groups, members of all the world’s religions, been the site of multiple ancient civilisations, been on the major crossroads of human migration and trade for thousands of years come in multiple colours!
- Presently, the most widely-accepted theory of our origins is the Recent African Origin, or Out of Africa Theory. This holds that originally, humans first appeared in Africa, thus all of us have African ancestors. All modern non-Africans are descended from much smaller groups of people who migrated out of Africa, anytime from 65,000 to 125,000 years ago. How do scientists know this? By looking at our DNA, in addition to fossil and archaeological records. They discovered that the differences in the DNA of non-African peoples like say, a German a Japanese and a New Zealand Maori was far less than the genetic differences between people from different African ethnic groups. (Somali, Dinka, Yoruba, San, Kikuyu, Luo etc- I’m BARELY scratching the surface)
- What this meant was that Africa had to be the original, diverse genetic pool where modern humans first appeared. Everybody else outside of Africa today is descended from much smaller groups of people who left Africa at various times- and that ancestral genetic “bottleneck” is why people who appear to have very different heritage (e.g European vs East Asian) actually have far less genetic variation than the various African peoples.
So, India being the second most genetically diverse place on this planet is a big deal- it’s basically second only to THE CRADLE OF HUMANITY. That’s why I’m pretty convinced your friend can have blonde hair and green eyes and still be 100% Made in India.
3. Now, the genetics of India itself.
Genetic studies have shown that if you take a modern Indian from any part of India, no matter how dark or fair they are, his or her lineage will consist of mixing from two main ancestral groups. One is the Ancestral Northern Indians (ANI), and the other the Ancestral Southern Indians (ASI). You may have heard of the ancient Indian caste system which put a lot of social pressure that prohibited marrying outside your caste. Caste discrimination is banned today, but old attitudes do persist. However, even this caste rigidity wasn’t so 4000- 2000 years ago. ANI people married ASI pretty freely, so that’s why every modern Indian has heredity from both groups. So, already to start off, you got quite a fair bit of diversity hidden in people’s genes.
- And the next interesting part to explain why it IS possible for Indians to have features stereotyped as “European” is because while the ASI seemed to be genetically unique to the Indian subcontinent, the ANI people are genetically related to Middle-Easterns, Europeans and Caucasians (and I mean this not in the sense of “white” as often used in the US, but the actual region of Caucasus, which borders Europe and Asia).
- You mentioned she looks “white”- and the American-understanding of “white” being hurled at her by those people screaming cultural appropriation are actually ignorantly treating “white” as synonymous with “European-origin”. In reality, it’s completely useless in the realm of biology. Biologically, there is actually no real dichotomy where “European” suddenly ends and “Asia” begins.
- As I earlier pointed out, well, we’re all kinda related. And it’s not at all earth-shattering that some people from India look like they’re of “European-origin”. Because modern Europeans, Central Asians and the Ancestral Northern Indians are all believed to be descendants of a group of people called the Proto-Indo-Europeans. It’s believed they lived around 6000-7000 years ago. Some modern people that are descended from the Proto-Indo-Europeans are French, Germans, Iranians and Pashtuns (a major ethnic group in Afghanistan). It’s even been found that Europeans and Indians shared a gene for fair skin from a common ancestor- which is why there ARE people who look like your friend. Naturally, fair skin is just relatively rarer in India vs Europe because more parts of India are located in hotter regions. Therefore, there’s more selection pressure for darker skin which has more melanin to protect from the sun- making fair skin rarer, but still possible.
(This is a map of the Kurgan Hypothesis, which is currently the most popular theory for how the Proto-Indo-Europeans migrated from their homeland to settle Europe, Central Asia, Iran, India and Turkey etc)
- Saying Indians are descendants of the Proto-Indo-Europeans is NOT the same as saying they’re of “European origin”. For example, think of the Proto-Indo-Europeans as like the “mother” of Europeans, Central Asians and the Ancestral Northern Indians- they’re like “sibling” groups, not descendants. The original Indo-Europeans were not “European” in the modern sense. I am clarifying this because plenty of colonial-era scientific racism tried to attribute ancient India’s achievements to “European who left Europe for India”- you might have heard the phrase “Aryan” thrown around in Nazi Germany, which was used to mean “blonde hair, blue eyes”. Nazi scientists and historians also abused it to explain away the sophistication of non-European civilisations in Ancient Egypt and India. In reality, ”Aryan” is derived from the ancient Sanskrit word “Arya" which means "noble". Sanskrit is an ancient language still used in classical Indian texts, and is of Proto-Indo-European origin. For example, the name of the country “Iran” actually means “land of the Aryans”- it was the name ancient Iranians (another people descended from the Proto-Indo-Europeans) gave to what others called the Persian Empire for more than a thousand years before the Third Reich.
- Furthermore, many languages we often separate as “European” and “Asian” like German, English, French, Italian vs. Hindi, Farsi (Persian), Gujarati, Punjabi, Pashto, Sanskrit etc are ALL classified by linguists as belonging to the same Indo-European language family- which all evolved from the original language the Proto-Indo-Europeans spoke. See how artificial the Europe/Asia dichotomy really is, in terms of human genetics and origin of cultures?
4. Finally- there’s plenty of modern proof that the region we call Europe today does NOT have a monopoly on producing people with blonde hair, fair skin and green eyes.
This is Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, a popular Indian Bollywood actress who is also known for her striking blue-green eyes. She’s 100% Indian- she was born in Mangalore, India to Indian parents.
This is a girl from Darfur, Sudan- an area that has more than 30 ethnic groups.
5. And in the first place, what makes up a person’s identity IS NOT JUST HOW MUCH or HOW LITTLE MELANIN THEY HAVE.
- Tell your friend she is 100% Indian, because what makes up her identity is not just how she looks. Identity is what feels most natural to her, and if that identity is indeed very intertwined with major aspects of Indian culture- then well, she IS Indian and noone can say otherwise.
- Those people had no right to make her feel awful and “not-Indian enough” because it’s clear she identifies as such due to actually being born there and also practising major aspects of Indian culture. The best example I can think of to explain this is how in the US, people sometimes use the term “Latino” as a race category, with the stereotype that all latinos must have tanned skin and dark hair. In reality, it’s more of a cultural identity. There are fair haired-latinos and darker-skinned latinos whose ancestors included the African slaves brought to the Americas four hundred years ago. But what really makes them “Latino” or “Hispanic” is their upbringing- growing up in the environment of Latin America, which is culturally a syncretic fusion of Amerindian, African, Spanish, Portuguese and other European influences.
(This is the Brazilian football team that won the 1970 World Cup- you can see Pelé- second from the bottom right. He is an Afro-Brazilian. If you look at his teammates, you can see how latinos come in ALL COLOURS.)
6. Your friend should not be questioning her identity, but those people attacking her should be questioning their utterly myopic worldview. The history of human genetics and migrations makes it abundantly clear how DIVERSE India is- so it’s perfectly possible for her to be Indian but have blonde hair and green eyes, even if it may be less common.
7. On a more general note, I cannot stress this enough to everyone- DO NOT GO AROUND ATTACKING PEOPLE for “cultural appropriation” when you are NOT even from that culture in question and/or don’t actually know in detail the history and genetics of that region.
- If you suspect cultural appropriation: DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST or ASK SOMEBODY you know who actually belongs to that group. You may be attacking mixed-race people or people like the anon’s friend, who simply has features that are less genetically dominant- blonde hair shows up less easily in countries with a bigger pool of people with dark hair because dark hair is dominant. Even if her parents had dark hair, it’s possible they both carried a recessive gene for blonde hair that was suppressed by their dark-hair gene. Their child would be blonde if she happened to get both copies of the blonde gene instead of the dark hair gene.
- Also, even if you think the person isn’t of that group, please bear in mind they might have been invited to dress in that clothing by a friend, or because they’re at an event. (I.e let’s say, at an Indian wedding)
- I can’t stress enough how infuriating this “white knight” complex is. Speaking as someone pretty familiar with colonialism, I’ve had people who didn’t grow up in my culture condescendingly insist that if I’m okay with somebody doing something from my culture, it’s “self-internalised oppression”. I’ve studied African colonial literature, and the way people insist on defining what people should be alright with is very reminiscent of 19th century imperialists high-handedly saying, “oh, we have to bring the light of civilisation to save those backwards colonial subjects from themselves!”
This is Reese Witherspoon, wearing a kimono in Japan, where she is being taught by JAPANESE people how to perform the traditional tea ceremony. This is not reducing a culture to a caricature because she’s actually learning stuff respectfully and wearing a bona fide kimono.
- Fighting against cultural appropriation is to prevent cultures from being cheapened, made into jokes, sexual fetishes or ugly caricatures. Part of returning power to people to define themselves is ALSO by allowing them to set the parameters of what they want to share with others- and many cultures are perfectly willing to share aspects that are non-sacred or do not have to be earned. So, for example, do not go around insisting a Japanese person should not be allowed to teach non-Japanese people to wear a kimono- because a kimono, unlike a
Navajo(my bad! the Navajo were not a Native American people who traditionally wore such headdresses. Thanks to tumblr user nativepeopleproblems for pointing it out!) Sioux or Cheyenne war bonnet (akin to veteran’s medals), is something anybody can wear. Recognise this difference.
this is so important to read :) More or less one of the most well written, intricate pieces I’ve read about cultural appropriation - and it’s on Tumblr~ lol
Look at all this goddamn information.
every woman on tumblr should have this on their dash
And every man
Look how nobody’s yelling or arguing or making things into a competition. Look how this is to straight up educate people through a different perspective. Look how effective that makes the message.
youtuber gets angry that girls like music
I find it interesting how society doesn’t care when the media sexualizes women, when men sexualize women, or when school and the government sexualize women. But the second a woman is in control, and sexualizes herself willingly, it’s wrong and disgusting.
- EAGLES LITERALLY REFUSE TO FLY OVER A TOWN OF HUMANS BECAUSE THEY’RE AFRAID OF BOWS AND ARROWS
- THE ONLY REASON THE EAGLES HELPED GANDALF WAS BECAUSE THEIR LORD OWED HIM A FAVOR
- SAURON ISN’T STUPID
Excuse me, but Sauron is immensely stupid, and if he wasn’t, he’d have fucking won.
I mean c’mon, the dude had fellbeasts and what did he give the Nazgûl to work with?
… Scary Horses. He gave them scary horses that were afraid of water.
If the Nazgûl had shown up with THE FUCKING FELLBEASTS RIGHT AWAY, they would’ve had Sauron’s Bling back by midnight before there even WAS a Fellowship otR!
Also, the Eagles didn’t have to fly over humans. In the air, there are many ways to get to Mordor, and not all of them involve flying over a ton of armed humans.
As for the argument about the Eagles not owing Frodo shit - true. But you know, if the whole You Are Part Of This World So You Have To Care thing worked for the Ents, then it sure as hell could’ve worked with the Eagles, and don’t tell me they could’ve coexisted peacefully with Sauron. No species whose leader owes Gandalf a favor can afford to not give a shit about living in a world that belongs to someone as fundamentally stupid as Sauron.
Let me peacefully deconstruct your argument, since I’ve been reading these books since I was ten years old and analyzing them immensely.
- First off, Sauron didn’t “give” the Nazgûl the horses. If anyone did any distributing of livestock, it was Saruman. He was Sauron’s right hand man in the dealing with things like that, and he usually enacted judgment without Sauron’s approval.
- Secondly, the horses of the Nazgûl weren’t afraid of water at all. They were afraid of the water enchanted by Elrond which contained spirits of fallen riders. In the books, the horses start crossing the river right away no problem; it’s when the enchantment comes in that they start freaking out.
- The fell beasts weren’t used until later because the ring was supposed to be found in secrecy. No one’s gonna really look more than twice at a creepy dude on a black horse (more common than you think, especially in Bree), but if they fly in on a dragon-looking creature, people start to be a touch more concerned. Sauron absolutely did not want people waging war against HIM, he wanted to wage war against THEM when his forces were ready and strike at Minas Tirith. If armies started constructing once the fell beasts were seen, he’d have a crap ton of stuff to deal with that he wouldn’t want to deal with. He wanted to take the ring quietly back from its current bearer.
- "The eagles didn’t HAVE to fly over humans" unfortunately, you’re missing the reference I made to the hobbit. Where, after the dwarves were rescued from the wargs by the eagles, the eagles took them no farther than an eyrie. "The Lord of the Eagles would not take them anywhere near where men lived. ‘They would shoot at us with their bows of yew.’" Also, if the Eagles DID take Frodo to Mount Doom, you bet your butt they would have to fly over a crap ton of humans that would shoot at them. Humans from the south lands from Mordor came to aid the dark lord and were ordered to shoot down things from the sky excepting those things allowed by Gorthaur.
- Now here’s the thing you’re over assuming about the eagles. You seem to think they have a distinct sense of morality similar to man’s. But they don’t. The Lord of the Eagles owed gandalf, practically a God from the first age who dwelt in the lands of Valinor, a favor. When you owe someone of that repute a favor, you literally have to pay it back. (Especially if Manwë is witness to it). Eagles don’t care very much about the lands of Middle Earth and what happens to it. If crap goes down, they would literally fly back over to the undying lands and continue going about their business. Eagles never have given a rat’s ass about Middle Earth and they really never will. (Your point about the Ents is true, but the Ents are creatures planted and rooted on Middle Earth, whereas the Eagles were not. The ents also had reason to be alarmed and fight because Saruman was deliberately killing their kin. Yes, the Eagles might fight back if their kin started being killed. But until then, no thanks.)
- EVEN THEN. Some of the Ents were like “Nope. Don’t care” and wouldn’t participate in the lovely war festivities.
- And SAURON WASN’T STUPID. GANDALF SAYS THAT TONS OF TIMES. Do you know why Gandalf chose Frodo, a hobbit, to carry the ring? Because Sauron was smart enough to know that hobbits weren’t a threat, so he didn’t worry about them. Frickin’ shirelings. He could kill twenty. Gandalf’s plan was to have the ring taken into Mordor secretly and safely. When he told Frodo “keep it secret, keep it safe” it was referring to the whole journey. If they could sneak past Sauron and toss it into the lava, they were home free. If they flew in on eagles, Sauron would obviously see them and everyone would die.
- Tolkien knew what he was doing.
- Do not try to tear apart Tolkien.
Reading those books since you were 10? Slow reader eh?
People who say bi erasure doesn’t happen need to realize Freddie Mercury is known as the most famous homosexual man when he identified himself as bisexual. If that’s not bi erasure I don’t even know.
Also PoC erasure, most people don’t know he was 100% Indian
Specifically he was Parsi.